Script-to-Screen FEATURE Contest
Script-to-Screen FEATURE is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get your dramatic screenplay fully produced. We are searching for unique voices and compelling original dramatic stories. One of our missions is to support diverse artists who might otherwise not have these opportunities. Our directors will select one unique story that they will direct and produce. We are searching for screenwriters who have written features or short films before, and have a polished feature length script ready to be produced.
Script-to-Screen FEATURE is presented by Maybe…Yes! Productions, inc. and Whole Picture Films. Our program teaches writers how directors transform their screenplay into a shooting script. We believe that writers benefit from learning how production works in order to become better writers. Each application season our program selects one dramatic feature length screenplay to be produced. Your script will be directed by Co-Directors Julie Petrusak and Jermaine Burrowes, who will take the script from pre-production to post-production.
Our directors are in control of all creative aspects of the film. Writers will receive credits as per WGA guidelines. Whole Picture Films will own the rights of the completed film. Once completed the film will be added to our roster of work and will have opportunities for release and distribution.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 30th, 2019
Selected candidates will be invited for Round 2 no later than January 2020
Finalists will be invited to an in person interview
The winner will be announced in 2020
Preproduction will begin fall end of 2020
Scripts must be dramatic original screenplays only, NO adaptations. This is a low-budget production, therefore we are looking for scripts that reflect that. Our production will apply for SAG eligibility.
Our selection process will be divided into three rounds:
Round 1: CV, Bio, Logline, Synopsis
Round 2: Complete script
Round 3: In person Interview
What we are looking for:
- Must be written in English
- Must be in standard script format
- Dramatic Scripts Only
- 80 page minimum
- Screenwriters have to be 18+ to apply
- Application fee $25
- Please follow us on Instagram and Facebook to be considered
What we will provide:
- Full production of your work
- Credits as per WGA guidelines
- Sit in meetings with the directors during development of the shooting script
RULES AND TERMS:
Presented by Maybe… Yes! Productions, inc. and Whole Picture Films
BY ENTERING (OR OTHERWISE PARTICIPATING) IN THE CONTEST, ENTRANTS AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH CREATE A BINDING CONTRACT SO READ THEM CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING. WITHOUT LIMITATION, SUCH CONTRACT INCLUDES GRANTS OF RIGHTS AND INDEMNITIES TO THE CONTEST ENTITIES FROM YOU AND A LIMITATION OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES.
- Collaborative works are accepted and are treated as (1) submission.
- Whole Picture Films, based upon its own opinions and voting procedures, reserves the right to grant no award if there is no entry that qualifies with sufficient merit.
- The applicant(s) agree to hold Whole Picture Films, harmless from, and defended against all claims, demands, costs, judgments, losses, expenses (including attorneys’ fees), and liabilities resulting out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on any stories submitted to the Whole Picture Films Feature Script Competitions or on any screenplay developed out of such stories.
- The burden of obtaining copyright, Writers Guild Registration, and all proprietary interests for the submitted material rests solely on the applicant(s).
- ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open only to legal residents and physically located in one (1) of the fifty (50) United States or District of Columbia and who are at least eighteen (18) years old at time of entry (except Alabama and Nebraska residents must be at least nineteen (19) years old at time entry and Mississippi residents must be at least twenty-one (21) years old at time of entry). Collaborative works are accepted and are treated as (1) submission.
- JUDGING CRITERIA: Whole Picture Films, based upon its own opinions and voting procedures, reserves the right to grant no award if there is no entry that qualifies with sufficient merit. Each Entrant and all the entries are subject to validation at any time by Sponsor and/or the Judges, whose decisions are final and binding in all respects. Entrants may be asked to sign additional documentation before being declared official winners.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS IN SUBMISSIONS: The ownership rights to each submission will remain with the Entrants as more fully contemplated below. As a condition of participation in the Contest, Entrant, upon submission of his/her/their submission to the Contest, irrevocably grants to Sponsor, and each of its licensees, successors and assigns, and to Whole Picture Films LLC.,. and their related and affiliated entities and divisions, the non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, no-cost license and right to use and otherwise exploit the submission, and all images, text and materials included or depicted therein, in whole or in part, in any manner or medium now or hereafter known or devised (including, without limitation, CDs, streaming media, film, television, videocassettes, print, interactive devices, mobile media, Internet and on-line systems), throughout the universe and in any and all languages, including, without limitation, the right to display, reproduce, recreate, record, perform, exhibit, distribute, copy, edit, change, modify, add to, subtract from, re-title and adapt the same, to combine it with other material and otherwise use and exploit it without having to give any compensation or attribution to Entrants or any third party. Sponsor, and each of their successors, assigns and licensees, will have the right to make unlimited derivative works of submissions, to assign or transfer any or all of Sponsor’s granted rights and to grant unlimited, multiple-level sublicenses. Without limiting the forgoing, Sponsor will have the right to use the submissions submitted as part of the Contest, and all images, text and materials included or depicted therein (if any), in any merchandising, advertising, marketing, promotion or for any other commercial or non-commercial purpose. Entrants hereby forever waive and relinquish all “moral rights (droit moral)” now or hereafter recognized in connection with submissions submitted as part of the Contest. Entrants acknowledge that as a condition of participating in the Contest and/or being selected as a winner, Sponsor may request that the Entrant’s submission, and any rights therein, be assigned to Sponsor and Entrants may be required to confirm such assignment by completing and submitting the Affidavit and Release (and any other documents reasonably required by Sponsor) or such Entrant will otherwise be disqualified from receiving his/her award. Entrants must maintain the ability to assign all such rights to Sponsor free of any limitations, restrictions or third party obligations. Entrants agree that Sponsor shall have the sole discretion in determining the extent and manner of use of submissions and are not obligated to use any submission. Entrants agree that neither Sponsor, nor its agents, shall be responsible for return or preservation of the submissions submitted.
- CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: Entrant Agrees that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for an item of equal or greater value in the event all or part of a prize becomes unavailable. To the extent permitted by applicable law, prizes are awarded without warranty of any kind from Sponsor, express or implied, without limitation, except where this would be contrary to federal, state, or local laws or regulations. Submission of entry into this Contest deems that Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Films submitted to the Contest may not be used commercially or for monetary gain by Entrants. This includes but is not limited to distribution sales, intellectual property sales, licensing agreements, and ad revenue. Winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit and Release at any time thereafter (as requested by Sponsor) as a condition to winning. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in disqualification and potential selection of an alternate winner. If entry is submitted by a team and any single team member fails to execute and return the required documentation within this time period, said individual will be disqualified but the remaining team members who comply will still be eligible for their prize. However, if the winner does not provide Sponsor with a signed Affidavit and Release (unless prohibited by law) within the time period, Entrant will be disqualified. Sponsor may document and film the Entrants’ participation therein by any means, including by taking photographs, video/film recordings, and/or sound recordings. By participating, each Entrant consents to such activities and grants Sponsor, its agencies, Whole Picture Films permission to use, in perpetuity and by any means, the results of such activities for Sponsor’s advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. Entrant’s participation and services in connection with such activities shall be deemed a work-made-for-hire for Whole Picture Films, as such term is understood in copyright law. In addition, acceptance of any prize constitutes permission for, and winners’ consent to, Sponsor and its agencies, and their respective successors, assigns and licensees, and to Whole Picture Films, to use a winner’s name, photograph, biographical information and/or likeness and entry in any all forms of media and by any and all means (now and hereafter known), throughout the world, in perpetuity, for any purpose, including, without limitation, for advertising and promotional purposes, without any obligation, notice or additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize. An Entrant may be prohibited from participating in this Contest if, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other Entrants, the Sponsor or associated agencies. If Entrant is a team, and Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, that any single team member has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest, all members of such team may be disqualified, as determined within Sponsor’s sole discretion. Due to the unique nature and scope of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right to alter or modify these Official Rules at any time. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Contest by any event beyond its control, including, but not limited to, fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, communications or equipment failure, utility or service interruptions, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared), interference with the Contest by any party, or any federal, state or local government law, order, or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence) Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest. Sponsor additionally reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion: (a) to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest should causes beyond Sponsor’s control corrupt or interfere with the administration, integrity, operation, security or proper play of the Contest; or (b) to disqualify any Entrant found to be, or suspected of: (i) tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; (ii) acting in violation of these Official Rules; or (iii) acting in an un-sportsmanlike manner. The Released Parties (defined below) are not responsible for any changes or unavailability of the social media platform used, if any, for purposes of administering this Contest that may interfere with the Contest (including any limitations, any restrictions, or any conditions on Sponsor’s ability to use the social media platform for the Contest as set forth herein that are not acceptable to Sponsor) or ability of Entrant to timely enter, receive notices or communicate with Sponsor via the social media platform, in which case Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may terminate or modify the Contest.
- ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any Entrant concerning identity, postal address, telephone number, ownership of right or noncompliance with these rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the Entrant from the Contest. If any single team member provides such false information, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify the entire team. Sponsor further reserves the right at any time, including after announcement of winners to disqualify any entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party or otherwise does not comply with these Official Rules.
- GOVERNING LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of Entrants, Sponsor or the Released Parties in connection with the Contest will be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other laws.
- ARBITRATION/DISPUTE RESOLUTION: a. By entering this Contest, you and Whole Picture Films agree to arbitrate all disputes and claims arising out of or relating to this Contest, whether directly or indirectly. This agreement to arbitrate is intended to be broadly interpreted. It includes, but is not limited to: claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of the relationship between us, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation or any other legal theory. claims that arose before entry into the Contest (including, but not limited to, claims relating to advertising); claims that are currently the subject of purported class action litigation in which you are not a member of a certified class; and claims that may arise after the termination of the Entry Period. For purposes of this Section only, references to “Whole Picture Films,” “you,” “your” and “us” include our respective subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees, predecessors in interest, successors, and assigns, as well as all authorized or unauthorized users or beneficiaries of these Official Rules. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either party may bring an individual action in small claims court. In addition, either party may arbitrate in accordance with the terms of any other arbitration agreement between us; this arbitration agreement does not supersede other such agreements. This arbitration agreement does not preclude you from bringing issues to the attention of federal, state, or local agencies, including, for example, the Federal Communications Commission or any state agency that regulates Contest. Such agencies can, if the law allows, seek relief against us on your behalf. You agree that, by entering this Contest, you and Whole Picture Films are each waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action. These Official Rules evidences a transaction in interstate commerce, and thus the Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this provision. This arbitration provision shall survive termination of these Official Rules.
- WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Entrants certify that their entry is original, subject to the guidelines provided herein, and that they have the right to submit the entry in the Contest. Each Entrant 12 agrees not to submit any entry that: (1) infringes any third party proprietary, intellectual property, industrial property, personal rights or other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligation; (2) includes any personally identifiable information; or (3) otherwise violates applicable law. To the extent permitted by applicable law, each Entrant agrees to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor and Whole Picture Films, respective directors, officers, employees, agents, successors and assigns (“Released Parties”), from and against and any and all claims, liability, costs, losses, damages or injuries of any kind arising out of or related to Entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or related to any prize (including, without limitation, losses, damages or injuries to Entrant’s or any other person’s equipment or other property, or to their persons, related to participation in the Contest; or arising out of any violation of rights of publicity or privacy, or claims of defamation or portrayal in a false light; or based on any claim of infringement of intellectual property or other rights; or from any typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering, selection, operation or announcement of any Contest activity and/or prize). Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Entrant agrees that Released Parties: (a) have neither made nor will be in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, in connection with the Contest and/or with respect to prize(s), including, without limitation, to any prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose; (b) maintain no control over the personnel, equipment or operation of any air, water or surface carrier, ship line, bus or limousine company, transportation company, hotel, manufacturer or other person or entity furnishing services, products or accommodations (“Suppliers”) as a part of the prize(s) provided in connection with the Contest; and (c) will not be responsible or liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience or other irregularity that may be caused or contributed to: (i) by the wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of the Suppliers or any of their agents, servants, employees or independent contractors, (ii) by any defect in or failure of any vehicle, equipment, instrumentality, service or product that is owned, operated, furnished or otherwise used by any of those Suppliers, (iii) by the wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any other person or entity not an employee of the Released Parties, and (iv) by any cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of the Released Parties. Sponsor is not responsible for the actions of Entrants in connection with the Contest, including Entrants’ attempts to circumvent the Official Rules or otherwise interfere with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest. To the extent permitted by applicable law, each Entrant further agrees to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against Released Parties
- SIMILAR MATERIALS: Entrants acknowledge that Sponsor and Whole Picture Films engages, has engaged and will in the future engage in the development, preparation, production, acquisition and dissemination of creative, entertainment, artistic and other material (collectively, the “Materials”), including, without limitation, Materials that are similar or identical to the submissions submitted in this Contest. Entrants also acknowledge that other persons, including employees of Sponsor or Whole Picture Films, may previously have originated and may hereafter originate Materials that are similar or identical to the entries. Entrants agree that they will not be entitled to any compensation because of the use by Sponsor or Whole Picture Films of any such similar or identical material. Without limitation of the foregoing, Sponsor or Whole Picture Films may use, without any payment or other obligation whatsoever to any contestant, any part of the Materials, and any idea or concept contained therein, that: (a) is similar or identical to, or contains significant elements encompassed in, a concept that is under consideration or in development by Sponsor or Whole Picture Films before or at the time of entry, (b) is not unique, novel, original, and concrete so as to be entitled to protection under applicable laws, (c) has been made public by anyone at the time of its submission to Sponsor or Whole Picture Films or otherwise is in the public domain, (d) would be freely usable by a third person if it had not been accepted as a submission or the subject of any agreement, (e) is not protected by United States copyright law, or (f) is similar or identical to, or contains significant elements encompassed in, an idea, concept or material that is independently created by Sponsor or Whole Picture Films or any third party. Entrants agree that Sponsor’s or Whole Picture Films development, preparation, production, acquisition, dissemination and/or exploitation of Materials similar or identical to the entries or containing features, ideas, material and/or elements similar to or identical with those contained in entries shall not entitle any Entrant or team to any compensation or other right or remedy. As an inducement to Sponsor to accept each submission for entry into the contest, contestants hereby waive any claim or right of action against Sponsor or Whole Picture Films or its successors in connection with the Sponsor’s use of any Materials (or any portions thereof) whether or not such Materials are similar or identical to a submission or contain any features, ideas, material and/or elements that are similar or identical to those contained in a submission. Acceptance by Sponsor of a submission is not an admission by Sponsor of the novelty or originality of the submission.
- SEVERABILITY: If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
- SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is Whole Picture Films, 350 Ocean Ave, Brooklyn NY 11226.
- NO OBLIGATION TO USE: Sponsor shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any or to otherwise exploit any submission or, if commenced, to continue the distribution or exploitation thereof, and Sponsor may at any time abandon the use of the submission for any reason, with or without legal justification or excuse, and Entrants shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason thereof.
- DATES & DEADLINES / ANTICIPATED NUMBER OF ENTRANTS: Because of the unique nature and scope of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, in addition to those other rights reserved herein, to modify any date(s) or deadline(s) set forth in these Official Rules. Sponsor cannot accurately predict the number of Entrants who will participate in the Contest.
- FURTHER DOCUMENTATION: If Sponsor shall desire to secure additional assignments, certificates of engagement for the submission or other documents as Sponsor may reasonably require in order to effectuate the purposes and intents of these Official Rules, then Entrant agrees to sign the same upon Sponsor’s request therefor.